Root Canal Roulette

Challenges of Successful Therapy

Pulpal Complex of a ToothKilling  virulent  germs  in  inaccessible places  is  a  cornerstone  of  successful dentistry.  Convoluted  nerve  (pulp)  canals  and  microscopic  tubules  have made that task impossible until the advent of ozone gas – still rarely used.

Tubules are the highway through which nutrient-rich fluids pass from the central  pulp  to  outer tooth  surfaces  to  keep teeth  vital  and  strong.

Nerve Canal of a Tooth
Unfortunately,  tubules can be riddled with bacteria  and  their  toxins.  Single-rooted front teeth have at least three miles of microscopic tubules to “sterilize”.

Bacteria do not enter  tubules solely through decaying teeth. Sugar ingestion reverses tubule fluid flow, drawing acids and  germs  into  the  tooth,  particularly the germs involved in gum disease. After  root  canal  therapy,  neither  antibiotics,  nor  the  immune  system’s  white blood cells can reach tubules.

Rendering  teeth  sterile  is  a  critical objective  of  root  canals.  It  would  be the only way to keep a dead structure within  a  live  body  without  medically challenging the host.

Ozone Gas Therapy

Dentinal TubulesSome dentists feel that if a client insists on saving a tooth at all costs, even if it means undergoing a root canal, ozone gas therapy is essential for initially sterilizing  the  multiple  or  braided canals illustrated above, tubules, the ligament surrounding  the  root,  and  the  septic area beyond the root tip. Indeed ozone gas can permeate all these, neutralizing toxins and killing even spirochetes. One major  spirochete  implicated  in  gum disease, is also associated with severely infected  tooth  pulps  –  and  has been found in the spleen, heart, and brains of those with root canal infections.

But is ozone therapy enough?

Aftermath

Though a root canal treated tooth is ideally sealed at both ends,  nothing  seals  the  tubules  or  accessory  canals;  microbes and their toxins can seep into and out of teeth. Bacteria incubate within the tooth; their waste products build. The toxins are often more virulent than the microorganisms themselves. Both can escape to cause serious health threats to the host. In this way, one can think of a dead tooth as a toxic sponge.

Additionally,  root  canal  filling  material  shrinks  more than 20% as it cools and sets. As the wax tries to return to its pre-compression shape (before it was compressed into the canal) and pulls away from the canal’s walls, it leaves ample space for microbial invasion and housekeeping.

Other potential problems:

• Tiny, fragile files are used to clear debris from a canal. Sometimes a tip breaks off and is left within the canal.
  • A tooth’s nerve does not always exit through the tooth’s tip.
  • Often, especially with older root canals, both ends are  sealed  with  mercury/silver  filling  material.  If this material plugs the root tip, the mercury has direct contact with tissue fluids.
  • Putrefying tissue is commonly left in accessory canals. The toxins are known to inactivate many enzymes that run a body’s cellular activity,*  inactivate portions  of  the  immune  system,  unbalance  hormone levels, and likely contribute to autoimmune diseases like Multiple Sclerosis, arthritis, and Lou Gehrig’s disease.
  • Post-operative antibiotics do not inactivate bacterial toxins present within the tooth or its enveloping ligament. These toxins are pumped into the lymph system upon chewing. These antibiotics do kill off good bacteria residing in the mouth, however!

* Dr. Boyd Haley’s research shows miniscule concentrations of toxins removed from root canal treated teeth can completely inactivate the most important enzymes in the body. These are : creatine kinase, pyruvate kinase, posphoglycerate kinase, adenylat kinase, and acidified fibroblast growth factor. Dr. Haley is Professor Emeritus and was  Chairman  of  the  Departments  of Chemistry and Biochemistry at the University of Kentucky.

Much of the information  presented is based on the work of  doctors Weston Price, George Meinig, and Hal Huggins.

Considerations When Extracting a Septic Tooth

Considerations When Extracting a Septic Tooth

Dentistry is the only health profession that keeps dead tissue within the body. – Dr. Hal Huggins

Jawbone CavitationI  would  add:  dentistry  is  the only  health  profession  that rarely  acknowledges  the  existence of cavitations.  Cavitations are dead areas of bone.  Cavitations can form in the jawbone when extraction  procedures  for  removing  the  diseased  bone and periodontal ligament are not followed. When a ligament is left behind, the body does not recognize a  tooth  was  extracted.  This  arrests  bone  healing. Often bone heals only over the top of the socket, leaving a hole in the bone – a hole that teams with pathogenic germs and their toxins.

Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.

, , , , ,

8 Responses to Root Canal Roulette

1. JRT10 July 30, 2014 at 7:28 pm #

So you are doubtful that even ozone therapy can effectively remove the bacteria.

• Carol July 30, 2014 at 9:43 pm #

I do not doubt that ozone gas can successfully neutralize the bacteria – except perhaps for facultattive aerobes. I, along with many dentists, do not believe the tubules stay uncontaminated over time. See more detail in the article Dr. Mercola asked me to write about the subject: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/05/03/root-canal-alternative.aspx or on my blog. This article that you are asking about is several years old and is quite introductory. Good for you for knowing about ozone use in dead teeth, however!

2. Diane November 20, 2014 at 9:38 am #

Ok, I’m facing some decisions and I would love a response. I would like to proceed with the least invasive option. First of all, I have late stages Lyme Disease so I feel my immune system is already compromised. My Holistic Dentist says the only options are root canal or extraction of my #3 tooth She does suggest use of Ozone during the root canal. Now reading above, I also see that extraction, if not done properly, is also not a good option. How do I find out if the surgeon doing the extraction, does so “safely” ? Also, is there any information on using Ozone Theraphy to kill the spirochetes causing my Lyme Disease ? Should I also use Ozone if I choose to have the tooth extracted ? Please please please answer ASAP as I am having to make a quick decision.

• Carol November 20, 2014 at 10:03 am #

Your holistic dentist, if she is suggesting the use of ozone if you do decide to have a root canal, is also very likely well versed in cavitations so you should ask her how she goes about avoiding them. The intro protocol I include in the article including ozone treatment of the socket after the extraction are but a starting point. All practitioners have slightly different protocols. Understanding cavitations exist is a great start!
      I’m sure you have done a lot of research on alternative therapies for Lyme disease and yes, ozone can be an adjunct. Perhaps Dr. Shallenberger (http://www.antiagingmedicine.com/frank-shallenberger) can set you on a good path with that. Your immune system is already significantly altered as you know, so it is good you are proceeding with the utmost care. I wish you well.

3. Kari December 23, 2017 at 7:47 am #

I have just finished reading your book Mouth Matters and was very impressed with the depth of your knowledge! It doesn’t appear that you are taking new clients so I thought I’d write and ask for your opinion on my issue if possible. I had a severe recession in #28. My bio dentist filled it with composite but it never felt normal again. (This was back in March, 2017.) Now it is December and I finally got tired of it not feeling normal. I also noticed a bump on my face that corresponds with the bump inside my mouth. I went to my bio dentist and she diagnosed an abscess. She did not offer any further treatment at that appointment (no offer to drain it or ozone therapy although I did receive that during the initial work she did for mercury removal, new crowns and cavity filling) only a treatment plan ($5K!) to either do a root canal (although as a bio dentist she doesn’t approve of those and I agree) or extraction followed by zirconia implant or bridge. I’m trying to make the most informed decision I can as to the next step. She did not say that my tooth was dead. It does not hurt (nor does the abscess; it’s just annoying) and I have no issues eating. She did prescribe a round of antibiotics, which seems to reduce the bump – at least for a while. I just want to do the right thing for my mouth now and for the future since after reading your book I have learned has such tremendous effects on my overall health. I am going to make an appt with a biomimetic dentist after the holiday but hope you might be able to offer me some wisdom in the interim. Thank you so much!

• Carol December 23, 2017 at 9:49 pm #

I’m happy Mouth Matters helped crystallize your thoughts. Keep in mind I can only speak in general terms, but thankfully, you say your dentist already diagnosed an abscess. An abscess does go away on its own, so you should never ignore the symptoms, just as you suspect. If she did not offer further treatment at the time of the abscess, she must have been relying on you to remember that she already thought the tooth was hopeless during the initial treatment plan presentation though it’s a bit odd she didn’t remind you that she was right earlier and to reiterate proper treatment! remember, a continuing abscess can damage the surrounding bone and teeth and even be lethal. So schedule ASAP for an extraction appointment. Most biological dentists know how important a thorough extraction is to prevent cavitations and yours will probably even do ozone. Certainly you can request it to cover all your bases. the choose from the list of options presented in this article.
      Then absolutely see biomimetic dentists for future filling replacements. My next book will explore the reasons why even more thoroughly, especially why white fillings often hurt after placement (Hint: They are already failing. The pain stops once the bond has completely severed.) I’m down to revising the possible title and cover 😉

4. Nikki January 6, 2018 at 9:56 pm #

I have a question about ozone- I’m going to have my root canal tooth removed. I can go to an oral surgeon and not have ozone treatment used or go to a regular dentist that would use ozone. Which would you choose? I’m worried about complications that could arise with a molar extraction at a regular dentist but like the fact they use ozone. The root canal tooth is currently infected.

• Carol January 6, 2018 at 11:40 pm #

I should imagine a general dentist who uses ozone is likely to already know how well the socket must be cleaned out to avoid cavitations – as long as they are comfortable with the challenge of whatever level of extraction difficulty your particular tooth presents. The principals of avoiding these are likely part of the drive to introduce ozone into the practice in the first place. Even so, set your mind at ease by having that discussion. And of course the root canal treated tooth is infected. They all are 😉
      I recently had four cavitation surgeries where my wisdom teeth were extracted by oral surgeons forty years ago. Relieved I was finally able to do it, but I shouldn’t have had to. On the other hand, I took my two daughters to an oral surgeon for theirs because they were so difficult to remove. I use an oral surgeon who knows how particular I am about removing all of the ligament and possibly infected bone around them, etc. etc. Our post-extraction protocol was unusual since we didn’t use antibiotics or cold compresses to avoid swelling. Our body’s response to infection is to swell to bring in healing factors. We used cold lasers, topical colloidal silver, aloe vera, and ozonated olive oil (it flows better and has more ozone power than say, ozonated jojoba oil). I’m writing more about all this in my upcoming book Primal dentistry; Less is More . It will go well, just have these discussions with your dentist.